Running WinAudit on offline windows

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:14 AM
Hi,

We are currently using winaudit to document installed software and hardware config on computers we deliver. After delivering all additional modifications to the computer is followed by making a full system image (Wim) and uploading it to a datastore. I realize that it would be best to run WinAudit when the image is created, and file the report at the same time. And maybe we can introduce this procedure in the future. But for now we have hundreds of images in the datestore, and I would like to run a complete WinAudit scan of each and have a report created. Obviously there cannot be any hardware or "running" software detection.
My plan is to mount each Wim and run WinAudit on it to create a report, then unmount and continue to the next wim.

Is this possible?
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2016 at 3:08 PM
Hi Pelsepils,

Apologies for the delay. No, that's not possible. WinAudit will only collect information about the OS in which it is running. WinAudit operates by asking the relevant OS sub-system for information. For example, to discover installed software, it makes use of Windows Installer functions (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa369426(v=vs.85).aspx). Those only look for software intalled by the running OS. The same is true for an offline registry hive, i.e. registry functions will only look into its own registry.

oldbury
Marked as answer by Pelsepils on 5/11/2016 at 2:41 AM