Thank you and proposed further functionality

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:31 PM
Excellent tool, many thanks for providing it.

I would like to suggest to extend the audit output to encompass also:
  • the serial numbers of harddisks, if further components such as mainboards have serial numbers that can be read, those as well
  • presence and version of SLIC table as well as certificates for e.g. Win8 licenses (OA 3.0).
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2015 at 3:44 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2015 at 3:47 PM
Hi ictx,

For hdd serial numbers, look in the section entitled "Physical Disks", the serial number should be there. More detailed raw hdd indentity data can obtained by selecting from the menu, View -> Disk Information. For additional hardware serial numbers look in the section "System Management", there is usually the baseboard serial number. Likewise, View -> Display Information, scroll down to the section Extendend Display Identification Data. Normaly there is a serial number for the display, if it has one. If I recall correctly, since Pentium IV, there are no longer processor serial numbers due to privacy concerns.

WinAudit simply dumps the tables in the System Management BIOS as described by the specification. If no SLIC table is shown in the "System Management" section, I assume the OEM didn't programe one. Unless, of course, custom coding is required to extract the OEM's data. If you have a pointer/link to a some docs showing how that could be done, that would be appreciated. Note, in terms of showing licenses and installation certificates etc. no one here is a legal expert so we err on the side of caution. We want to avoid issues for us and people who use WinAudit. We would not implement reporting of OEM installation keys. Those come from Microsoft etc. However, WinAudit does show the OS product idenification key which is normally what is needed for client support.

Steven
Aug 27, 2015 at 9:41 AM
Hello Steven,

Thank you for your fast answer and the information provided.

I do apologize, I hadn't looked for the serial numbers under physical disks, I had just looked at the information provided under hardware devices/disk drives.

I will use your pointers regarding SLIC/System Management and try this out on a few PCs, on the PC I used winaudit on I didn't find SLIC information (but know that there is, HP DC7700sff). Maybe I was equally blind as with the serial numbers :-(

My use case for the license info is mostly to have the data on record when a customer's disk breaks, device with CoA on it is stolen or the customer can't find the license documents, which hasn't become easier with ESD - people have an e-mail with the license info but don't print it out, so if the mail isn't available, they don't have the info (we deal with a lot of retired people, many of them are expats and for many of them, the PC/notebook is their main means of communication with friends and family, they are usually late bloomers when it comes to computers - but unfortunately, many of them aren't truly well organized).

We presently use other tools to record the license keys, it simply would have made life easier by reducing the amount of steps/tools used.

Once again, thank you for providing an excellent and free solution.